Vuk Stefanović Karadžić was a champion of Serbian Enlightenment, who lived and worked in the first half of the 19th century. He was the reformer of the Serbian language, collector of local folk tales and proverbs and the author of the first Serbian language dictionary. Vuk Karadžić was born in the Serbian village of Tršić, but moved to Vienna after the First Serbian Uprising. His reforms of the Serbian language included the introduction of phonetic orthography and the replacement of Slavenoserbian language, used by the educated class of the time, with vernacular Serbian. This monument was installed in 1937, on the occasion of celebrating 150 years since Vuk’s birth. It was created by Djordje Jovanović, the father of Serbian modern sculpture and the first artist here to produce large-format works. The monument was created upon the initiative of the Serbian Literary Association in 1920, and financed by the donations made by citizens from all over Serbia over a ten-year period. It has been declared a cultural landmark and the neighborhood around it is also known by Vuk’s name. The monument is located on the tri-border between the city districts of Zvezdara, Palilula and Vračar.
Monument to Vuk Karadžić