The monument is situated in the Republic Square (Trg Republike), in front of the National Museum. It was installed in 1882, as the first monumental equestrian statue in Serbia put on public display in an urban environment. It is dedicated to Prince Mihailo Obrenović. The idea behind it – the emancipation of Serbia from Turkish rule – was consistently and harmoniously realized by the author, Italian sculptor Enrico Pazzi, within the conception of the monument as a classic equestrian statue with the stylistic features of Academic Realism. The bronze statue of the Prince, the liberator of Serbia, mounted on a horse, his arm stretched-out in the direction of the Serbian lands that still hadn’t been freed, is set on a bronze relief pedestal, surmounted on another pedestal covered by marble tiles and profiled blocks, with cast bronze decorations and bronze plaques with the names of the freed cities. On the bronze pedestal, scenes from Serbian history made in relief were based on the sketches of arch. Konstantin Jovanović. Conservation treatment was carried out in 1986, and cleaning in 1995.
Trg republike 1, Belgrade, Serbia