The monastery is dedicated to the Council of the Holy Archangels. The name Tresije comes from the namesake stream in whose bed it was built. The monastery probably dates from the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century. The records of a Turkish population census from the middle of the 16th century reveal that, in terms of manpower and property, this was the richest monastery in the Belgrade Pashaluk. After the Great Migration of the Serbs (1690) from these areas, the monastery was robbed, burned down and devastated. Owing to the efforts of the Rakovica Monastery Hegumen, it was renewed in the 18th century, only to be destroyed again and finally restored in the 1930s. Restoration works continue to this day.