The Church of Saint Dimitrije in Lazarevac, with its memorial ossuary, was built in honor of both the Serbian and Austro-Hungarian soldiers who died in the Battle of Kolubara. This is a monumental work of Serbian religious architecture between the wars, but also of the Russian builders who emigrated to Serbia due to civil war in their homeland. The idea of building a memorial ossuary and a church in Lazarevac came from the need to bury the remains of the warriors who had lost their lives on the fronts around Lazarevac during the Battle of Kolubara in 1914. The structure is a clear expression of the spirit of historicism. In terms of architecture, Lazarevac Memorial Church and Ossuary were inspired by the Church of the Presentation of Mary in Senjak. The church was designed by arch. Ivan Afanasjevič Riko, a Russian emigrant, between 1938 and 1941. Around 37 m3 of remains of the Serbian and enemy soldiers who died in the Battle of Kolubara are buried in the church crypt.
Church of St. Dimitrije Lazarevac